Red Deer Stalkers, How to skin and prepare capes.
I am giving a stag shoulder mount of your trophy in exchange for 8 capes.
Verry important Take care of skin on cape area.
When you have a client or thinking of keeping a cape for a mount take care in returning to larder with deer,things to watch out for,hard surface,rope marks,etc,wrap with a jacket arround head or make use of some moss to cushion head,ie= it is imperitive not to damage by dragging, bad handling on vehicle,ears getting nipped by antlers etc
1. When you have taken your beast and think it has a good skin check for bad scarring torn ears hair loss and general condition of skin.
2. Check as to where bullet entered and exited carcase, do not put a cut in bottom of neck to bleed as this is unnecessary damage, if beast is shot in heart lung area it would have bled sufficiently to chest cavity, a quick gralloching to ensure a good food carcase.
3. After gralloching try and protect from rope burns, friction contact with hard materials when transporting carcase, tips - put jacket a round area to be tied or put some moss in between areas of contact.
4. When you get carcase back to larder its time to take measurements, start by getting an ordinary tape measure that they use to measure suits with and measure from the front of eye to tip of nose. Then around neck just below joint an inch or so, just a medium tight required, wright measurement on card and store with skin.
5. When in larder you need to take a cut from start of brisket square up a round the back then find the outer skin and knead skin off with fist, try not to use the knife as you can end up damaging more than its worth but it is inevitable as the neck skin thickens at rut time .Roll skin down legs to first joint where you cut the legs off, then it is best to hang up to get a better purchase between skin and neck, continue up neck as far as you can go, cut neck off as norm.
A rotating hanger is also usefull,saves going round and round.
6. When skinned you need to place in heavy duty bag wrapped tightly a round antler base and sealed with a card that has measurements on it. Put in to cooler without a bag if going to deliver within a day or so, or in freezer inside a bag if its a while before delivery.
7. Contact me for arrangements and advice.Gamekeepers receive £50 per stag for client refferal £40 for sika.
For Further Information
Call/Email Robert Bartlett on 07846-851130
This is a stag cape i received today from a gamekeeper after a little instruction,perfectly done.cut well back and skin rolled down to neck joint where you would dismember at joint.remember to take the measurement before.